Thursday, May 19, 2022

This Palestinian refugee witnessed the Nakba, and would go home tomorrow if he could ~~ Eman Abusidu

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20220516-this-palestinian-refugee-witnessed-the-nakba-and-would-go-home-tomorrow-if-he-could/

~~ recommended by alteng ~~



Misleh has always dreamed about returning to Palestine, but like many other refugees he didn't take Brazilian citizenship because he thought that he might lose his Palestinian nationality if he did. "After my father passed way, two of my brothers came to Brazil and then I came in order to work, get money and send it to our family. I went to Brazil with only $10 in my pocket and a small suitcase. It took 12 days by ship."

In Brazil, he sold clothes door to door, and trained as a carpenter. He and his Palestinian-Brazilian wife — they married in 1964 — have two daughters and five grandchildren.

READ: The strategic importance of the Palestinians in Israel in any upcoming war

"My plan was to return to Palestine in a few years, but I couldn't. No one has ever returned. I could not return to my village, and I did not obtain a foreign passport that would enable me to enter Palestine after that. I worked here and started a family. My daughter Soraya, though, has continued my journey through her writing."

Soraya Misleh is one of the most prominent Palestinian activists in Brazil and Latin America. She is a member of the Brazilian Press Union and the Coordination Committee of the Front for the Defence of the Palestinian People, and is also an activist in Brazil's Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. She has written a two-volume book about the Nakba; her Master's degree told the story of her father's village. She also has a PhD from the University of Sao Paulo (USP) on the History of Palestinian Women; it has been recommended for publication. She has visited Palestine and the place where her father´s village used to be. Her father is very happy that she was able to do this. "My daughter went to Palestine and represented me there. She is part of my life; it is the truth of destiny."

Every year, on 15 May, 12.4 million Palestinians around the world commemorate the Nakba as they continue to struggle for their legitimate right to return to their homeland. In Brazil, Nakba Day is synonymous with the Palestinian refugee Abder Raouf Misleh who fled from his village and lives in Brazil. He would go to his homeland tomorrow if he could. "That is my wish," he added.

READ: Israel 'tortures Palestinian children in detention'

No comments:

Post a Comment