Monday, June 20, 2022

The Wisdom of Erich Fromm ~~ Compiled by Collectivist Action

 ~~ compiled by collectivist action ~~





"The hoarders, who are anxiously worried about losing something, are, psychologically 

speaking, the poor impoverished people, regardless of how much they have."


“Love is an action, the practice of human power, which can be practiced only 
in freedom and never as a result of compulsion.”


“The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very 
condition to impel man to unfold his powers.”


“If I am what I have and if I lose what I have who then am I?”


In the having mode of existence my relationship to the world is one of 
possessing and owning, one in which I want to make everybody and 
everything, including myself, my property.


“Reason flows from the blending of rational thought and feeling. If the two 
functions are torn apart, thinking deteriorates into schizoid intellectual activity 
and feeling deteriorates into neurotic life-damaging passions.”


"As we ascend the social ladder, viciousness wears a thicker mask.”


"Ideas become powerful only if they appear in the flesh; an idea which does not lead to 
action by the individual and by groups remains at best a paragraph or a footnote in a book."


"Our conscious motivations, ideas, and beliefs are a blend of false information, biases, 
irrational passions, rationalizations, prejudices, in which morsels of truth swim around 
and give the reassurance, albeit false, that the whole mixture is real and true."


"Human solidarity is the necessary condition for the unfolding of any one individual."


No comments:

Post a Comment